Thursday, January 12, 2012

Talks With God and Fortune Cookies

This morning I woke up to a ruckus. My mother came storming in and out of my room for only reasons God knows. She was mumbling something about the dentist. As her tornado continued down the stairs and out to the garage, I lied in bed to let my mind wake up. 

I received the reality of my dream being over, and real life coming back into play. As I did, my heart became heavy with this new day in my hands. I sat up in my bed and rubbed my eyes until they ached. I looked over to the mirror and saw my reflection which made my day that much worse. 

"Don't you see what I see?" A small voice said in my head. 
In disgust with my reflection and knowing this voice all too well, I decided to argue, "I see a girl with bed head and red eyes. I see a girl that gets in people's way. So if that's what you see, then yes. I see what you see." 
A chuckle brightened my heart. Louder this time, the voice explained, "That's not what I see. Look again." 
Afraid of being disappointed of my mirror image, I reluctantly looked up. 
"Don't you see what I see?" He asked me again.
I held my breath while I burned a hole into the mirror with my eyes. I was desperate to see what He saw.
"Don't you see the beauty in you? Don't you see the self depreciation washing off of you? Please tell me you see the fear being afraid of you, and the gossip not wanting to tempt you."  
I looked down to my hands with shame as questions of doubt swarmed my mind. Suddenly, curiosity kissed my heart. When I looked back at my reflection, I saw what he saw. 

In complete awe, and a new ambition to be that person, I leaned over to check what time it was: 8:30 AM. 


I got this fortune last night. I thought I'd be productive in the sense that I'd get something done, not in the sense that I'd find myself. The irony of the situation is that I've been praying for God to change me. I told Him no more than three days ago that I was sick of fearing everything but Him. Because I knew that in actuality, I shouldn't fear anything but Him. 

Yours until the pigs fly,
Alessondra Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment